Tuesday, May 17, 2005

More on the topic of love ...

I asked, "how do you know the difference between infatuation and love?", and this morning I have had that question on my mind non-stop.

How do you know?

Well I thought there is a simple explanation for this sort of thing, and go directly to the source, so I try dictionary.com to figure it out.


in·fat·u·a·tion (n.)
1. A foolish, unreasoning, or extravagant passion or attraction. See Synonyms at love.
2. An object of extravagant, short-lived passion.
and

love (n.)
1. A deep, tender, ineffable feeling
of affection and solicitude toward a person, such as that arising from kinship,
recognition of attractive qualities, or a sense of underlying oneness.
2. A feeling of intense desire and attraction toward a person with whom one is
disposed to make a pair; the emotion of sex and romance.
3. Sexual passion.
Sexual intercourse.
A love affair.
4. An intense emotional attachment, as for a pet or treasured object.
5. A person who is the object of deep or intense affection or attraction; beloved. Often used as a term of endearment.
6. An expression of one's affection: Send him my love.
7. A strong predilection or enthusiasm: a love of language.
The object of such an enthusiasm: The outdoors is her greatest love.
8. Love Mythology. Eros or Cupid.
9. often Love Christianity. Charity.
10. Sports. A zero score in tennis.

The analytical side of me notices a couple of things instantly. One there is only two different types of explanations of infatuation, and there are ten for love. Also I see that love is the synonym for infatuation. How interesting. Oh and there is a zero score for love when it comes to sports.

I will have to think on this one ...

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home